The Quest of An Everyday Soccer Mom to Read the Modern Library's 100 Best Fiction Books of the 20th Century.

Friday, January 29, 2010

RIP J.D. Salinger....Jan 1, 1919-Jan 27, 2010

I was very sad to hear last night of the death of J.D. Salinger, author of #64, The Catcher in the Rye, at 91 years old. I remember reading this book both in college and in high school and loving it; who didn't think at that age all adults were 'phony'? :) I already have it on my shelf and am looking forward to reading it as a grown-up.

It's been amazing to me, reading through this list, how many of the authors have already passed away, which I guess is what happens when you're reading a list of books from the last century. I think the only other authors I've read on the list that are still alive are Salman Rushdie and E.L. Doctorow. Having success as a writer and ending up on a list like this is its own immortality, though, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Salinger, certainly, will always live on in his books and his myth. He was almost more famous for being a cranky recluse than for his books, which is too bad, even if he did bring it on himself.

    I read Catcher in high school and really should re-read it. I read Franny and Zooey last year and was very moved by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have not read "Franny and Zooey" but always wanted to. Did you review it? Let me know, I would love to read your review. :)

    ReplyDelete