The Quest of An Everyday Soccer Mom to Read the Modern Library's 100 Best Fiction Books of the 20th Century.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

January '10's Modern Library Literary Dirtbag Award Winner

I had to go with fire chief Willie Conklin from Ragtime. Reading that section where he harrassed Coalhouse Walker just made my blood boil. I am always embarrassed to remember that there was an unfortunate time in this country's history where that sort of treatment of African Americans was acceptable, and that scene in Ragtime was no exception. I was pissed off when I read that. Willie Conklin was not only a racist scuzzbucket but was also a giant coward, because he went and hid under a rock when Coalhouse was looking for him. I think he got off easy when all he had to do was restore Coalhouse's car.

No comments:

Post a Comment