The Quest of An Everyday Soccer Mom to Read the Modern Library's 100 Best Fiction Books of the 20th Century.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Great Posts on Reading Classics

I've found a couple of really great blog posts on some of the blogs that I follow that talk about reading classic novels and some of the challenges that come with them, as well as suggestions on how to tackle them, if you're trying to encourage yourself to read one. Here they are, in no particular order:

1) Desert Book Chick has a great posting on How to Read a Classic at her site. She was recently trying to motivate herself to read Anna Karenina (a GREAT book if you've never read it!).

2) Dead White Guys is putting together a series of articles on reading classics. The first one tackled becoming BFF's with the author; the 2nd talks about getting to know the author's intent. They are super funny and very enlightening.

3) Page Turners did a guest posting for Desert Book Chick on what defines a classic, and why we should read them.

Check these postings out. They are very encouraging and inspirational!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,

    Thank you very much for the shout out from all of us!

    I've had some fantastic people urging me along to read books like Anna K -and I encourage others to read it if they haven't.

    Like yourself, I'm doing a 'big picture' challenge this year - to read ten books every month or 120 books per year.

    This has been tough, as I work full time and also have an ongoing commitment to exercise (ok... I teach group fitness classes and run).

    At times, I've felt rather stressed!

    The classics, however, have had some unexpected effects for me and I'm really pleased about them,

    So... I'm going to enjoy exploring your site and looking at the list you're reading your way through. I'm thinking it might be my 'big picture challenge' for 2011.

    Thank you so very much for visiting Desert Book Chick, and connecting with Becky & Jane Doe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links to these interesting blogs!

    ReplyDelete